What Is the Annual Wellness Visit Benefit?
Medicare covers the cost of a beneficiary’s Annual Wellness Visit with his or her Provider. These visits are designed to help Medicare beneficiaries and their doctors develop personalized prevention plans, at no cost to the Patient, which take a comprehensive approach to improving health and preventing disease.
Services Provided During an AWV:
- Routine measurements: height, weight, blood pressure, and BMI
- Review of medical and family history
- Review of the current intake of medications, supplements, and vitamins
- Discussion of the care being received from other health care providers
- Review of functional ability and level of safety, including any cognitive impairment, as well as a screening for depression
- Discussion of personalized health advice that takes into account risk factors and specific health conditions or needs, including weight loss, physical activity, smoking cessation, fall prevention, and nutrition
- Discussion of referrals to other appropriate health education or preventive counseling services that may help minimize or treat potential health risks
- Planning a schedule for the Medicare screening and preventive services that are appropriate for the next 5 to 10 years.
Physicians can work together with their Patients to develop a proactive strategy that manages health based on their specific health needs.