The importance of Medication Therapy Management (MTM)
- Improved patient adherence and utilization of medication
- Patients meet their treatment goals
- Less drug duplication, harmful side effects, or interactions between medications, vitamins and supplements
- Effective use of medication leads to greater medication cost savings and medical resources (less ER visits)
- 50%: On average 50 percent of patients do not take their medications as prescribed and 33 percent never even fill their first prescription.
- 700 THOUSAND: Each year, an estimated 700,000 Americans experience adverse reactions to prescribed drugs that require an emergency room visit.
- $290 Billion: The estimated annual cost of patients not taking their medication as prescribed approaches $290 billion.
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Centers of Disease Control and Prevention